On 7 December 2017, starting from 04:30 AM (GMT +8), ranked queues will be disabled in preparation for patch 7.24. At 06:00 AM (GMT +8), the servers will be shut down and all games currently in progress will end in a draw and stats will not be recorded. We estimate the battlegrounds to be prepped and ready by 12:00 PM (GMT +8).
To get yourself caught up with all the buffs and nerfs this round, read up the Patch notes below.
It's the final (sort of) patch of the preseason and that means a lot of tweaks based on our first round of data. The game always changes a decent amount this time of year, so we're looking to make sure that—heading into next season—most champions at least feel the same, and some might even have the potential to do more.
A number of champions love the new runes and have been smashing the competition as a result, while others find themselves without the keystone they'd want. We're looking to give those characters some love in the meantime, and then we'll go from there.
Some of the runes themselves are either on the strong or weak side, so there's some balance tuning coming through on that front. We want to make sure that we don't head into the winter break with huge outliers still hanging around, so we'll be doing another minor patch before then.
Finally, we're rolling out a major update to the healthbars in the game, hoping to increase clarity overall and visibility on some of the less noticeable moments in the game. More on that below!
Base health regen and meep damage increased.
The new trading landscape has done a lot to buff the trading patterns of supports while Bard has stayed pretty constant. As a result, he's a bit on the punishable side, so we're giving him some love.
Passive - Traveler's Call
Passive shield duration increased. Q recast window increased.
Fervor of Battle had been providing Camille with a good deal of sustained damage. Without that, she's losing more trades. Rather than straight up increasing her trade power, we're giving her more room to use Q2 more effectively (and potentially while protected by her passive shield).
Passive - Adaptive Defenses
Q - Precision Protocol
Passive bleed damage and bonus AD at max stacks increased.
Darius lost bonus attack damage from both runes and Fervor of Battle when we switched to the new system. While he got a base attack damage buff at the same time, his passive scales with bonus—not total—attack damage, and his trading pattern has suffered as a result.
Passive - Hemorrhage
W's magic resist shred now applies to the attack or ability that procs it.
Some feel-good usability tweaks
Passive - Demon Shade
W - Allure
Q ratio decreased.
Back when we buffed Mystic Shot in 7.17, Ezreal was struggling in the bot lane landscape. Flash forward seven patches, and with how strong Kleptomancy is on him, it's clear he no longer needs that additional baseline power.
Q - Mystic Shot
W now deals damage to champions. Passive ratio decreased. E cooldown decreased.
Galio is struggling a bit, so we're buffing up his damage. However, we want to tie his strength to slightly riskier actions, like diving in with Justice Punch and landing a good Shield of Durand taunt. Essentially, as a beefy champion who also has the potential to dish out some damage, he should be rewarded for taking positional risks.
Passive - Colossal Smash
W - Shield of Durand
E - Justice Punch
Grove health cost decreased.
Ivern's historically relied on Triggerseed's low cooldown to help him survive fights. However, the transition from Thunderlord's Decree to the burstier-but-higher-cooldown Electrocute has given aggressive junglers an easier time taking Ivern down before he gets a second shield off. We're offsetting this systemic shift by reducing the health costs Ivern pays for clearing his own camps.
Passive - Friend of the Forest
Passive and Q damage decreased.
Electrocute's high burst damage means Jarvan is laying down serious gank kill threat, so we're taking away some of his base damage to compensate.
Passive - Martial Cadence
Q - Dragon Strike
R ratio increased.
Losing Deathfire Touch has hurt Karthus' overall teamfight damage and he doesn't have a solid replacement. As such, he just needs a bit more oomph.
R - Requiem
W damage decreased.
Leona's always dealt a lot of magic damage, and with less magic resist in the system—plus the new Aftershock rune—it's too much.
W - Eclipse
R damage decreased.
Malzahar should need to press more buttons to kill people.
R - Nether Grasp
Q damage decreased.
With less magic resist around, Maokai's high base damage has made him a bit too threatening for a tank.
Q - Bramble Smash
Base mana regen increased; mana regen growth decreased. Passive no longer procs on small units but heals more off everything else. W cooldown reduced when passive procs.
Morgana's existing laning pattern is pretty uninspiring: Press W on wave, get health back, keep laning. We're sharpening that pattern to give her more clear success and failure cases, and give opponents better windows in which to punish her (or deny her lane sustain). Trimming back that generic power allows us to make solo lane Morgana a lot stronger when played well.
Passive - Soul Siphon
W - Tormented Soil
W damage reduced, cooldown increased.
With Sunfire Cape buffs on the way (see below), Ornn's Bellows are going to be a bit too stoked—especially since he's already on the strong side—so we're dialing back his innate damage.
W - Bellows Breath
Q damage increased.
Without Fervor of Battle, Riven is missing out on a decent amount of her sustained damage.
Q - Broken Wings
Q damage bonus decreased.
Shen's ability to win trades on his base damage alone is making him a pretty oppressive top laner to face off against.
Q - Twilight Assault
Q cost increased. Q aura's flat damage bonus decreased; ratio increased.
Even after her mid-patch nerfs back in 7.22, Sona's lane poke is overbearing.
Q - Hymn of Valor
Base armor decreased.
Lots of champions received bonus armor when we released Runes Reforged. Most champions don't have as many armor ratios as Taric does, though, and as a result he gained too much from those buffs.
Base health decreased. W second hit ratio decreased.
Xin is proving too good at Pressing Three Attacks. Once he does, his baseline durability gives him too much freedom to unload on his target (and his overall damage is probably also a bit high).
W - Wind Becomes Lightning
Base attack damage decreased.
Yorick benefits from base attack damage more than almost any champ between his Triforce/Sterak's Gage synergy and his attack reset, which we recently changed to work on turrets. In combination with new runes like Demolish, the split-pushing grave digger has a bit too much damage to unearth on champions and towers alike.
W spell pickups last less long. E now travels less far, slows less, but lasts longer.
Zoe's Spell Thief pickups put a lot of pressure on her opponents. When they're on the ground, they're an extra burst of power they have to fear, and that can make it overwhelming to fight against her. Moreover, if an opponent does try to zone her away from the pickup, they have to do so for quite some time. Bringing that time down should give opponents more ability to exert influence in the lane.
Separately, we fixed a bug that was making it very difficult to cast Sleepy Trouble Bubble through walls unless you got right next to them. Now that players are going to be able to cast from slightly farther away from walls, we're afraid that will simply give her a longer threat range than intended, so we're taking a bit of the overall range out of that ability.
Q - Paddle Star
W - Spell Thief
E - Sleepy Trouble Bubble
Base mana regen increased; mana regen growth decreased. W charge time reduced whenever Zyra kills an enemy. W no longer increases plant health.
Zyra's one of the champions that makes us have long discussions about what a healthy gameplay pattern is, even more so when she's t(h)orn between being a midlaner or a support. It also made us think about what it means to have champions transitioning from one lane to another and what that means for the game in general.
We always get super excited whenever we see champions having fun play patterns in more than one role. For Zyra especially, we found ways for her to thrive as a support in a healthier way, but it wasn't all flowers just yet. This set of changes should provide our favorite fern more agency to go where she wants or where her team needs her the most.
Passive - Garden of Thorns
Damage taken by plants
Plants now die instantly to melee basic attacks but can survive more hits from damage over time effects and small minions/monsters. They're less durable in the late game against all other sources, since ranking up W no longer increases their health. As a side note, there are a few more plants overall.
- RANGED BASIC ATTACKS 2 ⇒ 4MELEE BASIC ATTACKS 2 ⇒ 8SINGLE TARGET SPELLS 4 ⇒ 8AREA-EFFECT SPELLS 2 ⇒ 4DAMAGE OVER TIME EFFECTS 2 ⇒ 1LARGE MINIONS/MONSTERS 1 ⇒ 2SMALL MINIONS/MONSTERS 1 ⇒ 1
W - Rampant Growth
R - Stranglethorns
Reflect damage now has lower base damage but scales with armor.
Bramble Vest is still proving too strong a spot-counter against basic attackers, thanks to the spike of strength it provides against them. We're working to dial that back and ensure it doesn't take over the laning phase.
Aura damage increased.
The two items that have enabled consistent laning patterns for tanks this season have been Sunfire Cape and Bramble Vest. We're not really happy with the play patterns that arise from either being the go-to item on tanks: Sunfire Cape tends to lead to overly high base damage on tanks with little cost in overall durability, while Bramble Vests makes playing basic-attacking champions in top lane overly prohibitive.
However, without either of those items, it's become clear that tank laning patterns fall apart. At this point, it's clear that Sunfire Cape is the healthier dynamic, so we're reverting the changes from Patch 7.9, but we hope to revisit Sunfire Cape in the future.
This is our first wide balance pass on the Runes paths! We've got a few case-by-case contexts in the tabs below, but are otherwise focused on ensuring no one option in any given row is overpowering its neighbors.
Press the Attack
Presence of Mind
Coup de Grace
Melee Phase Rush users are almost universally outperforming their ranged compatriots, so we're giving ranged users the slow resistance as well.
We're really happy with how Kleptomancy landed, but we still think there's room for improvements to the internal item generator system that feeds it. Our goal is to reduce the gap between extreme cases, be it the best-in-class champions using it, or champions who would fall behind and weren't able to recover from it.
Runes Interface Upgrades and Bugfixes
- We added a mitigation fix to Rune Pages being invisible during champion select. If you're still having this issue, please post on our boards!
- Ghost Poro now has visual effects based on your team
- Rune Pages now display the complete construct reflecting your choices on the Runes you picked in the Collection tab.
- Added a 3rd Party Verification box in the Options Menu
- Champion select dropdown menu now remembers your last selected page. No more "The Colossus" rune page every game.
Alternate Map Runes Balance
More fighting and more kills make Dark Harvest pretty strong on ARAM…
Bounty Hunter Runes
Amumu's ability icons have been updated!
Passive - Cursed Touch
Q - Bandage Toss
W - Despair
E - Tantrum
R - Curse of the Sad Mummy
Dr. Mundo's ability icons have been updated!
Passive - Adrenaline Rush
Q - Infected Cleaver
W - Burning Agony
E - Masochism
R - Sadism
Nunu's ability icons have been updated!
Passive - Visionary
Q - Consume
W - Blood Boil
E - Ice Blast
R - Absolute Zero
Renekton's ability icons have been updated!
Passive - Reign of Anger
Q - Cull the Meek
W - Ruthless Predator
E - Slice and Dice
R - Dominus
We’ve updated in-game health bars. You won’t have to relearn anything and you get some new toys. Expect more play/counterplay around defensive windows, awareness of special states, and big moments more clearly reflected.
New mega states
- Spell shielded
- Invulnerable (updated)
New mortality states
- Extra Life Available (Guardian Angel, Zilean Chronoshift, etc)
- Resurrecting (crowd control text)
- Unkillable (Tryndamere Undying Rage, Kindred Lamb's Respite)
New mobility state
- Unstoppable (Malphite Unstoppable Force, Olaf Ragnarok)
New defensive window states
- Armor shredded
- MR shredded
- Combo shredded
- Armor up
- MR up
- Combo up
New impactful moments supported
- Burst damage animation, and shake (we’ve included an option to turn this off)
- Burst healing animation
- General readability and responsiveness improvements including clearer damage colors and timing.
Non-Champion Health Bars
- Stylistic improvements, but no size changes
- Baron’s healthbar now stays in place during encounter instead of bouncing all over.
- Ultimate pet healthbar improvements (Tibbers, Daisy, Maiden) and Rift Herald (summon)
- No changes to lane minions
- 4K support (not cursor though, sorry!)
- New tech stack = easy to add new stuff and maintain.
Stuff that Shouldn’t Feel Different
- Last Hitting
- Objective Takes
- Healthbar width of all major objectives and structures haven’t changed so your Smite muscle memory should be as good as it was before.
Continuing our work from last patch, short character biographies have been created/adjusted for all champions. The full bios remain on Universe—these changes are to give a consistent and quick summary for each champion in the client.
You’ll now have the ability to invite people to your party from the end-of-game screen without adding them as a friend, for those times when you don’t want to make it “League official” yet.
Club’s max member limit is doubling to 100.
This one’s been a long time coming, so we wanted to sneak it in before the end of the year.
New & Returning Snowdown Emotes
Seven new emotes debut this Snowdown:
These emotes will automatically appear in your collection if you earned them last year. Also we snuck in three non-Snowdown emotes. Don't tell anyone!
Play naughty or nice missions and earn event-exclusive emotes, limited-time poro skins, and more.
Returning Game Mode: Legend of the Poro King
Legend of the Poro King returns from 13 Dec 2017 at 12:00 a.m. SGT – 20 Dec 2017 at 11:55 a.m. SGT and 3 Jan 2018 at 12:00 a.m. SGT – 9 Jan 2018 at 3:59 p.m. SGT. Pelt your enemies in a grand snowball fight on the Howling Abyss to summon the resplenden Poro King. You can also equip poro icons and fight alongside their corresponding poro skins during Snowdown.
New Game Mode: Snow Battle ARURF
A frigid fate awaits your foes! Fling spells and snowballs in this icy twist on ARURF, featuring League's coolest champions from 20 Dec 2017 at 12:00 a.m. SGT – 2 Jan 2018 at 11:55 p.m. SGT. All Snowdown and winter-themed skins are free to play in this game mode. You can also equip poro icons and fight alongside their corresponding poro skins during Snowdown.
- Sion dying before using the Guardian keystone no longer causes him to lose its functionality
- Fixed a bug where the Bandit passive on gold items was generating gold from pet's basic attacks (as opposed to just champion basic attacks)
- Spirits pulled by Illaoi's E - Test of Spirit no longer have their health bars disappear when the Illaoi player or an ally try to target it
- Fixed a bug where Arcane Comet had a minimap icon
- Taric's W - Bastion now correctly grants the shield from Summon Aery when cast on an ally
- Urgot now correctly receives Soul Essences for his Dark Harvest keystone upon executing a champion with R - Fear Beyond Death
- Fixed a bug where the additional damage to minions is also being factored into Corki's Passive - Hextech Munitions
- Champions who run Press the Attack attacking an enemy who also runs Press the Attack will no longer have their stacks malfunction
- Fixed a bug where Lee Sin W - Safeguard or Braum W - Stand Behind Me being cast on a champion with Summon Aery would cause Aery would jump to the caster of that ability.
- Smite's cooldown no longer reduces to 15 seconds when cast before 1:30
- Rammus no longer loses the additional base armor he received in Patch 7.22 when using Q - Powerball or W - Defensive Ball Curl
- Undoing purchases made while dead will no longer cause Sightstones to fail to refill their wards on respawn
- Damage to objectives now counts inhibitor damage in the end-of-game stats
- Fixed a bug where Syndra casting R - Unleashed Power while a Q - Dark Sphere was in flight from W - Force of Will would stop it from being pushed and instead redirect it into R - Unleashed Power
- Warring Kingdoms Xin Zhao's Ruby Chroma’s in-game texture now matches its store/champion select asset
- Victorious Graves' chromas now have gem and model adjustments on his gun, like OG Victorious Graves has
- Shockblade Zed's shurikens no longer clip into his back during his death animation
- PROJECT: Vi's Q - Vault Breaker no longer uses classic VFX when activating the spell and when hitting an enemy champion
- PROJECT: Vayne no longer triggers ward placement VO lines when using a health potion
- PROJECT: Vayne's hair and cape now loop fluently during idle animations
- Cho'Gath's skins no longer steal Jurassic Cho'Gath's death SFX during his death animation
- Hextech Flashtraption's in combat cooldown is now affected by summoner spell cooldown reduction.