On 11 January 2018, starting from 04:30 AM (GMT +8), ranked queues will be disabled in preparation for patch 8.1. At 06:00 AM (GMT +8), the servers will be shut down and all games currently in progress will end in a draw and stats will not be recorded. We estimate the battlegrounds to be prepped and ready by 12:00 PM (GMT +8).
To get yourself caught up with all the buffs and nerfs this round, read up the Patch notes below.
It's the first patch of the new season, and that means it's our last chance to make changes before the season starts! We already had an extra patch (7.24b) to round out the preseason leading into the holiday break, so this patch is a good deal smaller than usual.
The Ranked ladder resets with this patch, so we’ll see you out there for placements. To go with that, there are a few updates to the Honor system aimed at rewarding honorable players with some sweet loot!
If you’re following our Facebook page, this video should look familiar. We figured we’d see what happens if we put it in the Patch Notes, too!
Note: these changes will come into effect when the season starts on January 16.
We saw that Challenger players were facing Master tier duos pretty regularly, which ends up making the queue less competitive overall (despite the original intention back in 2016), and also punishes duos on the upper echelons of Master for winning too hard. We’ll be monitoring how much this impacts the health of the queue over the coming weeks
Passive damage-over-time increased.
Brand was one of the top users of Deathfire Touch, and without it, his baseline damage is lacking.
Passive - Blaze
E - Whiplash
Q cost and cooldown decreased. W slows more heavily but for less time.
Graves has unreliable in the early game. His burst damage is high enough that it doesn't need an increase, so we made some small changes to give him more room to shine early.
Q - End of the Line
W - Smoke Screen
Big turret beam damage decreased.
Ya boy Heimerdinger does some serious damage. Probably too much, in fact...
R - UPGRADE!!!'d Q - H-28G Evolution Turret
Attack damage growth and bonus attack speed reduced. E cooldown increased early and decreased later.
Without the stats (namely CDR) from the old rune system, Kayle has a harder time reaching full uptime ranged attacks with Righteous Fury. On the other hand, most of the new runes gave her more damage overall. We're trimming back on basic attack damage, while making it easier for her to reach full E - Righteous Fury uptime more easily.
E - Righteous Fury
E proc deals more damage and stuns for longer. Base mana increased.
Skarner has been pretty weak in the preseason, so we're buffing up his damage, crowd control, and mana.
E - Fracture
A lot of R bugfixes.
Weird things have been happening if Unleashed Power's target died or became invulnerable before every sphere dealt damage. We've fixed a lot of those bugs.
R - Unleashed Power
E trap arm time increased. R exit portal delay decreased.
Zoe's skillshots hit or missed based mostly on her skill, not her opponents'. We want to give a bit more room for players to actively dodge Zoe's damage, so we're giving players more time to see where Zoe (or her skillshots are) before they're struck.
Q - Paddle Star
W - Spell Thief
E - Sleepy Trouble Bubble
R - Portal Jump
Addressing a few feels-bad parts of Predator.
Predator is still a bit awkward to use, so we're introducing some usability tweaks to make its activation more consistent and its proc more intelligent.
Resolve Path Stat Bonuses
Stat bonuses are now split between health and the stat provided by your secondary rune path, and provide the same amount regardless of whether Resolve is primary or secondary.
Taking Resolve tree secondary was a pretty good call in the old system because runes and masteries combined gave you a decent chunk of baseline durability. Without that stat infusion, taking Resolve (in the new system) doesn't feel great. We're changing the way Resolve grants stats as a primary/secondary tree in order to make it a more viable secondary tree.
- Unsealed Spellbook now properly updates its user's Summoner Spell icons in Spectator Mode
- End-of-game runes stats that report duration (ex. Lethal Tempo's "Total Active Time") now use 00:00 formatting instead of number of seconds active
- Glacial Augment & Arcane Comet now have ally/enemy color differentiation
- Ally hits will no longer count towards Electrocute if both allies have the Keystone equipped
- Fixed interactions between the Flash lockout on Skarner and Fiddlesticks' ults and the Hextech Flashtraption and Unsealed Spellbook runes, which could cause Skarner and Fiddlesticks to lose access to Flash and Hexflash
- Rengar can no longer extend his leap range from brush via Hextech Flashtraption
- Triumph's gold and healing are now properly granted to units in stasis when a takedown is earned
- Arcane Comet's tooltip now properly lists its base damage
- Kleptomancy's level-up UI no longer persists when using Elixir of Skill at Level 18
- Cleaned up Runes VFX in Spectator VFX to remove overlapping particles
- Manaflow Band now works properly with alternate HUD schemes (Flipped Minimap, Team Frames on Left, etc.)
- Fixed a bug where abilities that cost health to cast will cause Revitalize's bonus healing amount in the rune panel to decrease.
Normally, selling an item means buying another right after. Selling and then leaving base immediately is mostly the product of misclicking.
- Higher contrast red health
- Darker background (to pop health even more)
- Bigger, brighter level text
- Slightly slimmer border
- Smaller name text (creates contrast with CC states and room for club tags)
- Shield decay displaying as red damage (fixed in 7.24 cycle)
- Club tags are back
Honor in 2018 is seeing some changes based on your feedback. Fighting to win earns you more rewards that get better as you level up. New checkpoints between Honor levels let you track your progress. Just like Ranked, your Honor level resets at season start so you can claim rewards all over again. These changes will ship at season start!
There are now three checkpoints in between each Honor level. For every checkpoint after level 2, you’re guaranteed a reward to celebrate your progress. Checkpoints stop after Honor level 5 (because there’s no level 6), but you’ll still get rewards at the same intervals
Your Honor level resets at season start to a checkpoint between levels 2 and 3. Players who finished at levels 3, 4, and 5 earn a small boost depending on their level.
We’ve made some big adjustments to how rewards work. New keyless Honor Orbs drop at every checkpoint past level 3 and keep coming after Honor level 5. Honor Capsules now drop when you reach levels 3, 4, and 5. That means you’ll get fewer Capsules than before, but they’ll contain the most exclusive rewards. Orbs and Capsules give you better rewards with every level up. Here’s what you’ll earn every time you level up or reach a checkpoint.Level 1
- Fixed a bug where Galio's shield from W - Shield of Durand would expire, rather than refresh 12 seconds after taking damage
- Champions with manaless abilities (such as Elise or Nidalee in Cougar form) can no longer stack Tear of the Goddess with their manaless abilities
- Energy or resourceless champion—such as Riven or Yasuo—can no longer stack Tear of the Goddess. Their allies can still stack tears, however.
- Gangplank's Q - Parrrley now correctly goes on cooldown on cast start instead of cast end
- QTPie—oops, we mean Zac—will no longer get stuck in his R - Let's Bounce! animation continuously if he revives with Guardian Angel after during the cast animation
- Vayne's first Q - Tumble attack out of R - Final Hour's stealth can now correctly be heard/seen
- Fixed a bug where many hard crowd controls would interrupt several charged/channeled abilities even when they had been blocked by a spell shield
- Fixed a bug where the healthbar fade and shake animations were displayed even if "Show Health Bar Shake" option was disabled
- Super Galaxy Gnar's transformation to and from Mega Gnar has been visually changed to remove a seizure risk
- Fixed a severe client load time issue for players using macOS version 10.8 or earlier. To get the fix, you'll have to completely reinstall League
- Gangplank's R - Cannon Barrage cooldown will no longer reset when buying the Raise Morale upgrade
- Cho'Gath's E - Vorpal Spikes-empowered attacks no longer interrupt the basic attacks of enemy champions they hit
- Ornn's W - Bellows Breath “Brittle” proc and the Grasp of the Undying Keystone rune no longer apply their effects if the attack that would apply them is blocked
- Nidalee's Cougar Q - Takedown no longer damages enemies if its empowered attack is dodged
- Fixed very rare instances where canceling an auto attack could also cause an in-flight projectile (ex. E - Grasping Roots) to disappear
- Fixed a bug where chaining certain dashes together would cause the second dash to last for the same duration as the first. If any Maokais were wondering why W - Twisted Advance took so long to reach a target after exiting Tahm Kench's R - Abyssal Voyage... that's why.
- Clicking on an enemy tower will now consistently show its item inventory
- Elementalist Lux's R - Final Spark water form VFX have been restored
- Elementalist Lux's Q - Light Binding fire form VFX have been restored
- Nunu Bot's arms are no longer missing electric VFX
- Sherwood Forest and Woad Ashe's Q - Ranger's Focus now have appropriately themed bolts when using Runaan's Hurricane
- Pool Party Lulu's R - Wild Growth ground VFX no longer slowly pulse on low and very low settings
- Jade Fang Cassiopeia's R - Petrifying Gaze overlay is no longer overwritten by Rylai's Crystal Scepter
- River Spirit Nami's orbs on E - Tidecaller's Blessing are no longer offset during rotation
- Bat VFX have been restored on Bewitching Nidalee's Cougar Q - Pounce when jumping towards hunted targets
- Ambitious Elf Jinx's W - Zap! trail no longer appears in front of the candy projectile
- Ambitious Elf Jinx's hair no longer stretches unnaturally during several animations
- Animal VFX for Spirit Guard Udyr's dance have been restored when he's in rank five W - Turtle Stance
- Hextech Kog'Maw's E - Void Ooze VFX around the spit blob projectile no longer disappear beneath elevated terrain